Development & Communications Coordinator
The Vietnamese American Initiative for Development (VietAID) was created in 1994 by community leaders to provide comprehensive economic development programs and services to reduce poverty and alienation in the Vietnamese community of Fields Corner (a Dorchester neighborhood). VietAID’s mission is to build a strong Vietnamese community and a vibrant Fields Corner through the following measures: promoting civic engagement; building affordable housing and commercial development; providing small business technical assistance and micro-enterprise development; and offering high quality child care services. VietAID’s primary programs today include a bilingual preschool, an afterschool and summer program for children grades 1-8, a youth leadership development initiative for high school students, management of affordable housing units, housing counseling courses, and community organizing and engagement.
The Development & Communications Coordinator is responsible for carrying out key fundraising and communications tasks for the organization, including grant writing, annual appeals, fundraising events, donor relations, individual donor stewardship, social media communications, newsletters, and marketing materials.
The position will report to the Executive Director. The position’s primary responsibilities include:
- Conducting the full range of activities required to research foundations and prepare, submit, and manage grant proposals to private foundations and corporate sources to support VietAID’s mission.
- Working with VietAID’s Director of Community Relations and Board of Directors to develop strong relationships with community supporters.
- Designing and executing a strategy for increasing contributions of individual donors.
- Collaborating with the Director of Community Relations to plan and implement periodic fundraising events, including events to raise the profile of VietAID and celebrate Vietnamese community and tradition in Boston, and a major event each Fall.
- Working with program staff on providing reports to funders as outlined in their contracts.
- Maintaining the organization’s DonorPerfect and Constant Contact databases to track individual, foundation, and corporate donors and funding opportunities.
- Ongoing support of social media engagement strategy, including maintenance of relevant content and periodic posting on VietAID’s Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram accounts.
- Supporting maintenance of the organization’s website, including posting relevant updates.
- Updating VietAID’s communications materials as needed.
- Writing a quarterly newsletter with key organizational updates.
- Coordinating with Director of Community Relations with development of VietAID’s annual report and programming outreach materials.
- Bachelor or advanced degree.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience and proven track record of success in fundraising and communications.
- Proven ability to identify, cultivate, and sustain relationships with individuals, corporations, and foundations.
- Strong skills in foundation research and grant writing.
- Experience using social media platforms preferred.
- Experience with database use and maintenance preferred.
- Track record of commitment to community development, social justice, and/or immigrant communities.
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Self-starter who is comfortable leading projects on his/her own as well as in teams. Strong interpersonal skills and collaborative, energetic approach. Good organizational skills.
- Experience working in low-income and multi-ethnic communities.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume, and two writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Put “Development & Communications Coordinator Application” in the subject line.