Director of Building Maintenance & Security
The Vietnamese American Initiative for Development (VietAID) provides comprehensive economic development programs and services to alleviate poverty and advance civic participation in the Vietnamese and broader population in the Fields Corner community of Dorchester. The organization operates a community center, which serves as a hub for the Vietnamese and Fields Corner communities, houses a child care program, after-school and youth leadership programs, and a number of professional offices including our own. VietAID is looking for an experienced Director of Building Maintenance & Security to oversee all maintenance and security activities related to the community center building and grounds.
The ideal candidate will be well-organized and able to optimize the use of space and equipment while reducing operating costs. The goal is to manage the building as efficiently and securely as possible in order to best serve the community and the agency.
1) Building Maintenance
• Address building maintenance issues as they arise, repairing directly where feasible, and contracting with the appropriate vendors to ensure timely repair, with a mind toward value optimization.
• Monitor the status of HVAC, security, plumbing, elevator, and other building systems to ensure inspections and replacement occur on a regular schedule.
• Identify needed capital improvements. Acts as project manager for ongoing capital improvements. Creates and maintains a capital management plan, working with consultants as necessary.
• Arrange and oversee contracts for snow clearance, landscaping, pest control, and other regular building management needs.
• Communicate regularly with staff at VietAID programs and tenant organizations to determine any facility-related needs or deficiencies affecting their operations.
• Coordinate with volunteer staff to optimize the benefits of their contributions
• Manage storage and/or disposal of materials produced by VietAID and its affiliate programs, in coordination with the appropriate employees and tenants.
• Coordinate with the office manager to ensure seamless management of tenant and facility space, maintenance contracts such as snow clearance, and other duties.
• Coordinate with the Director of Real Estate Development regarding third-party lease arrangements.
• Manage opening and closing of building during the week and on weekends.
• Responsible for security operations and building access, both in terms of hardware and standard operating procedures among staff.
• Ensure proper training of volunteers and/or staff who interact with visitors and participants entering the building.
• Establish and enforce protocols to prevent unwarranted entry into the building.
Hours: 20-30 hours per week to be arranged
3-5 years of experience in Maintenance/Facility Management. Knowledge of fire and building safety standards and procedures; general knowledge of contracting and building maintenance, including plumbing, electrical and HVAC systems. Computer literacy required. Experience working with building security a definite plus. Prior experience working in a social services environment also a plus.
Fluent Vietnamese a definite plus. Spanish speaking ability also desirable.
Send resume or description of qualifications to Jeff Katz – Jeff@vietaid.org