VietAID: The Vietnamese American Initiative for Development (VietAID) was founded in 1994 by community leaders and residents who believed that a community development corporation would provide comprehensive economic development programs and services to alleviate poverty and advance civic participation in the Fields Corner Vietnamese community of Dorchester. VietAID’s mission is to build a strong Vietnamese community and a vibrant Fields Corner through the following measures: promoting civic engagement and community building; developing affordable housing and commercial space; providing small business technical assistance and micro-enterprise development; and offering high quality child care services.
Engage in community organizing efforts on behalf of VietAID’s affordable housing, real estate development, childcare, youth, and teen programs. Meet regularly with residents in VietAID-built housing, current VietAID program participants, Fields Corner neighborhood residents, Vietnamese community stakeholders, local community organizations, and local businesses. Through these meetings, assess community needs and contribute input to conversations about VietAID’s programming and long-term strategy for community development. Plan and execute community-oriented events hosted by or at VietAID.
Community Liaison Regarding VietAID’s Programming:
• Develop an understanding of VietAID’s program offerings.
• Develop materials to market VietAID’s programming to community members.
• Contribute to VietAID’s public relations and social media outreach relating to community events.
• Build VietAID’s capacity to engage community residents and stakeholders in organizational decision-making
• Execute community-oriented events hosted by or at VietAID.
Community Member Outreach:
• Lead VietAID’s outreach to Fields Corner residents
• Lead VietAID’s outreach to Dorchester’s Vietnamese-American residents.
• Lead VietAID’s outreach to tenants at VietAID’s affordable housing developments through partnership with property management company.
• Develop understanding of existing community resources and ability to connect residents to resources as needed.
• Lead VietAID’s outreach to local community organizations, including Vietnamese- and Vietnamese-American organizations, other community development corporations, local civil and neighborhood associations, and government liaisons.
• Regularly attend community meetings and community events.
• Support community advocacy efforts.
Real Estate Development:
• Lead VietAID’s outreach relating to specific real estate development projects.
• Conduct community needs assessment to identify unmet community needs.
• Use community needs assessment to contribute to VietAID’s strategic priorities.
• Use community needs assessment to contribute to a community plan that informs VietAID’s real estate development projects.
• Experience working with low-income communities, immigrant communities and/or communities of color required.
• Ability to develop relationships with diverse set of residents and constituents.
• Commitment to social justice and community organizing as a facilitator of social change.
• Ability to work independently.
• Vietnamese language skills a plus.
Please submit cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line “Community Organizer Application.” In the body of the email, please indicate where you learned about this job opening. Rolling applications, position open until filled.