Job Description: Youth Program Social Worker
VietAID: The Vietnamese American Initiative for Development (VietAID) was founded in 1994 by community leaders and residents who believed that a community development corporation would provide comprehensive economic development programs and services to alleviate poverty and advance civic participation in the Fields Corner Vietnamese community of Dorchester. VietAID’s mission is to build a strong Vietnamese community and a vibrant Fields Corner through the following measures: promoting civic engagement and community building; developing affordable housing and commercial space; providing small business technical assistance and micro-enterprise development; and offering high quality child care services.
VietAID Scholarly Program for Youth (VSPY): VSPY is an After School program during the academic calendar and a day Summer Camp during July through August providing academic support and enrichment activities to predominantly Vietnamese American youth, local youth from Dorchester, and VietAID’s housing developments.
Position Overview: Social Worker will coordinate the socio-emotional learning program for fifth through eighth graders in VietAID Youth Program, provide general social work services to youth and support the overall program with the socio-emotional wellness activities for our youth. This is a part-time, one-year position with a focus on summer day camp during July and August and continuing into After School from September through May.
Start Date: June 15-18, 2016
Facilitation and Curriculum:
• Create and implement a social-emotional learning curriculum for fifth through eighth grade youth.
• Facilitate individualized social emotional support and counseling for a group of youth
• Work with group leaders and program staff to better support youth socio-emotionally by providing training and technical assistance
• Conduct one on ones with students as needed, for support
• Create, implement, and track behavior improvement plans
• Provide referrals for participants and families as necessary
• Work collaboratively with staff to identify children and families who are in need of mental health or outside case management services
• Conduct classroom observations to assess the needs of individual students and overall programs
• Assess staff training needs around socio-emotional learning and behavior management and provide appropriate training to meet those needs
• Master’s degree in Social Work (MSW) and have Seminar in Field Instruction (SIFI) certification.
• Ability to facilitate individual and group work.
• Have experience with social emotional learning curriculum development and implementation.
• Strong interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
• Effective planning, organizational, and time management skills and keen attention to detail.
• Ability to multi-task and to respond flexibly to a fluid and evolving program environment.
• Commitment to social justice and cultural responsiveness; knowledge/experience working with bilingual, immigrant youth and youth of color for at least two years
• Bilingual in Vietnamese is preferred/helpful
Please send resume, cover letter, and list of two references to:
Mr. Thanh Nguyen
Youth Program Director
Viet-AID, 42 Charles Street, Suite E, Dorchester, MA 02122
617-822-3727, ext. 21; firstname.lastname@example.org