VietAID is commissioning an artist to install a permanent work of art based on the theme of freedom on Town Field in Fields Corner. The three artists who are the finalists in the competition to create the artwork presented their proposals to the community on October 20th. The artists, Anh Tran, Joe O’Connell and Juanjo Novella, brought models of their proposed sculptures for the public to view. They all did a great job with their presentations.
With such good proposals, it will be hard to select the winner. We need your feedback! View the finalists’ full proposals here and post or send us your comments.
The artists’ presentation boards are on display at the Fields Corner Branch Library, 1520 Dorchester Avenue, through October 29th.
The models of the sculptures will be on display at VietAID’s Community Center, 42 Charles Street, this weekend (October 25 & 26) from noon to 5 p.m., during Dorchester Open Studios.
Give us your feedback by October 29th. The winning artist will be announced on November 7th.
VietAID Youth Programs Manager
Program Description: VietAID’s Youth Programs are designed to help low-income Vietnamese youth succeed in school and become responsible community members. The program provides intensive academic assistance to help children improve basic math and literacy skills; expose children to positive role models, their culture and traditions, and community service to build cultural and social values and competencies; and empower parents to become involved in their children’s education.
The Youth Programs Manager will oversee the summer, afterschool, and teen programs at VietAID. These programs serve approximately 200 local youth annually in grades 1-12. Afterschool and summer programming provides 75-100 1st-8th grade students daily with homework help, academic enrichment, and activities that foster social, emotional, and physical well-being. The teen program provides over 50 paid and volunteer positions for teens to help out in classrooms with the younger students and for them to develop leadership skills.
- Oversee the day-to-day management of the program including after school and summer camp.
- Coordinate all academic and enrichment activities.
- Create program calendar and daily schedule.
- Develop and maintain program partnerships to provide workshops, field trips, events, and activities.
- Recruit, interview, hire, and supervise program staff and volunteers in accordance with licensing standards.
- Plan and lead teacher and volunteer trainings.
- Oversee student recruitment and registration processes.
- Oversee maintenance of student and staff records.
- Supervise and work closely with the Youth Leadership Coordinator to support the teen program.
- Oversee school and family communications.
- Create program budget, track expenses, and manage program fundraising.
- Oversee behavior management system utilizing the Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports system.
- Oversee evaluation of the youth program.
- Oversee long-term and strategic development for VietAID youth programming.
- Must love working with youth and have a passion for positive youth development
- BA in education, psychology and/or early childhood education
- Experience working with and teaching young people
- Excellent communication skills
- Organized and highly flexible
- Can effectively work independently and as a team member
- Experience working with diverse populations
- Familiarity with the Vietnamese community, the language, and its network is a plus
- Proficiency in basic computer skills (Word, Excel, email, Internet) and general office/clerical skills
- Ability to work occasional weekends and evenings
- Must be a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident
- Valid Driver’s License
- Clear background check
- Paid holidays, sick leave, vacation time, 403(b) retirement savings plan, dental insurance, health insurance reimbursement, and short-term disability.
To apply, please send a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, fax to 617-822-3718 or send to 42 Charles Street, Suite E, Dorchester, MA 02122. We will be accepting applications on a rolling basis.
VietAID is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Dorchester’s Fields Corner ranked among ‘10 greatest neighborhoods’ in U.S.
By: Laurel J. Sweet
(Staff photo by Angela Rowlings)
Read more …
Fields Corner has just been named one of the ten great neighborhoods in the U.S. by the American Planning Association. The APA highlighted VietAID’s work in supporting children, families and businesses and building affordable housing.
Read more …